Copy Editor Vacancy
The International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) is an intergovernmental organization that advances and shares scientific understanding of marine ecosystems and the services they provide, and employs the resulting knowledge to generate state-of-the-art advice on meeting conservation, management and sustainability goals. ICES international network comprises more than 5,000 scientists from over 690 marine institutes in 20 member countries and beyond.
ICES Secretariat, located in Copenhagen, Denmark is seeking applications for the full-time role of Copy Editor. This is primarily a traditional editing role, with the main responsibility of the Copy Editor being to proofread, format, and edit ICES advice products as well as formal publications. In addition, the Copy Editor resolves linguistic and style queries from colleagues and is part of the team maintaining the Style Guide and Word List.
Qualifications and experience
Besides being a stickler for grammar, the ideal Copy Editor is someone who can work both independently and in close collaboration with colleagues and external clients. Further requirements for this position include:
- Excellent (native level) English grammatical, reading, and writing language skills, and a good understanding of the flow and structure of texts
- Previous experience in editing and/or formatting technical and detailed information as well as experience in copy editing
- Ability to work through repetitive tasks while keeping an eye to detail
- Highly organized, with an ability to work well under pressure and to manage several tasks simultaneously whilst keeping tight deadlines
- Computer literate (solid knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and experience with Adobe Acrobat). Experience developing templates with Microsoft Word is a plus
- Ability to work in a team, with people from diverse national and cultural backgrounds
Terms of appointment
The appointment will be full time (38 hours per week) for a four-year contract period starting preferably in December 2020/January 2021.
ICES Secretariat staff enjoy privileges and immunities pursuant to the Host Agreement between the Government of Denmark and ICES. The salaries of ICES staff are exempt from Danish income tax and the salary for this role is at the “C4” grade, which is based on but not equivalent to the United Nations common salary system.
Furthermore, a tax-free pension scheme is available, to which both the employee and ICES contribute. ICES Staff Rules set out the conditions and principles of employment and the responsibilities of the staff of the Secretariat.
If you feel you have the personal and professional qualities and potential we are looking for, please submit your application (CV and cover letter) via 360job apply link no later than 2 October. Please mark your application documents “202007 Copy Editor”.
Questions about the position should be directed to Editor Ruth Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org). General questions about the recruitment process or working conditions may be directed to email@example.com.
Do not submit applications via e-mail. Applications will only be looked at when recieved via 360job apply link.
For more information about us, please visit our home page: http://www.ices.dk/Pages/default.aspx
- Do you have previous experience in copy editing?
- What do the small details mean to you?
- Rate your knowledge or skills of Microsoft Office Suite
- Which do you prefer?
- Rate your English grammatical skills